Skip to main content

Tony Nominations

 In 2024, "Maybe This Time" seems cheerfully retrograde; not only does the heroine state that happiness is impossible without a romantic attachment, but she also seems to think that she doesn't have agency. She is like tumbleweed, just blowing in the wind.


I wonder if Kander and Ebb studied "Guys and Dolls." Famously, in "Dolls," Guy, the male lead, sees "luck" as a willful sparring partner. If Guy loses all his money at the slots, it's because "luck" has opted not to "be a lady." If Guy sees gambling as a form of romance, then Kander and Ebb see romance as a form of gambling. Sally Bowles has been a "loser" in the game of love, but maybe this time, she will "win."

The other thing that I love in "Cabaret" is a classic example of "content dictating form." Kander and Ebb know how to conserve syllables; if they seem verbose, then they are being *deliberately* verbose. So consider these lines: "I won't be a loser anymore--like the last time, and the time before." It would be possible to write: "like all the previous times." But stretching out the sentence is a way of underlining Sally's agony: We feel her frustration as she wades through word after word, stumbling toward the "full stop" at the end of her thought.

Sorry, Liza Minelli. For me, there is only one real version of this song, and it belongs to Kristin Chenoweth. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Host a Baby

-You have assumed responsibility for a mewling, puking ball of life, a yellow-lab pup. He will spit his half-digested kibble all over your shoes, all over your hard-cover edition of Jennifer Haigh's novel  Faith . He will eat your tables, your chairs, your "I {Heart] Montessori" magnet, placed too low on the fridge. When you try to watch Bette Davis in  Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte , on your TV, your dog will bark through the murder-prologue, for no apparent reason. He will whimper through Lena Dunham's  Girls , such that you have to rewind several times to catch every nuance of Andrew Rannells's ad-libbing--and, still, you'll have a nagging suspicion you've missed something. Your dog will poop on the kitchen floor, in the hallway, between the tiny bars of his crate. He'll announce his wakefulness at 5 AM, 2 AM, or while you and another human are mid-coitus. All this, and you get outside, and it's: "Don't let him pee on my tulips!" When

Dad Diary

 When babies are very tiny, a fair portion of the day is just napping/cuddling. But if your charges are two and four, things become sort of acrobatic. A big influence for me is Roz Chast, who has written extensively about her experience as a parent. She says that her own mother would often report, "I'm not your friend." And this drove her batty, such that she took on a different motto with her own kids: "I'm both your parent and your friend." It's a tricky sentence. You have to commit to one role over the other--at times. It's so wearying to say, "We don't eat a cupcake at 2:30 PM," just knowing your sentence is going to land on deaf ears, and that there will be tears, tears, and more tears. Another source of help for me is the Roz Chast set of "Bad Mom Trading Cards." She has taken her worst parenting moments and turned them into "collectibles." One example: "The day you run out of orange juice, so you offer or

My Kids

 Sometimes, my children hold hands in the back of the car, and they just giggle. It's reliably the greatest thing that happens on the planet, and I can't predict when it might occur, and I can't fully interpret the meaning of the laughter. At other times, my son walks up to my daughter and pushes her (for no clear reason). This really alarmed me until I watched a Chris Rock special, and Rock spoke about his daughter's fondness for biting the limbs of strangers. I really think that Rock should win some kind of humanitarian award--just for publishing this confession. My spouse and I are not sure how to counsel my daughter. Occasionally, there is a temptation to say: "Just push back!" This doesn't seem very Christlike...but....maybe...who cares? I took pleasure in a picture book yesterday, "Timothy Goes to School." In the book, Timothy is bullied by Claude--and Timothy does not meekly accept this nonsense. Instead, he daydreams about Claude falling