Skip to main content

Susie

 When the barber asked about "style influences," for Susie's hair, I thought of Greta Gerwig.


I idolize Gerwig (despite disliking "Barbie"). I especially like how Gerwig describes Virginia Woolf: "I love her writing, but also -- she was included in the canon because she was just better than other writers."

Also, Gerwig's ferocity inspires me. When she started at Barnard, she planned to pursue training as a paralegal, because she knew that any project outside the realm of the arts would not have any kind of meaning for her. She was realistic about what she wanted.

It's not clear to me what Susie thinks of Greta Gerwig. I do think Susie has certain directorial visions. I admire my daughter most when she is obsessively rearranging the Halloween decorations outside; nothing will deter her from her mission. Also, I'm fond of hearing her plans for a costume; though it can drive me batty to learn that there are yet more revisions in our future, I also respect that an artist is an artist. You don't tell Woolf that she needs to commit to a subpar version of Mrs. Dalloway.

My own reactions are irrelevant; Susie will have the costume that Susie wants. If a disagreement occurs, Susie seems puzzled. "Mommy," she says. (She calls me Mommy.) "Mommy, I am going to be a witch-bird-princess." It's almost as if she rolls her eyes at me. And she moves on to her next task.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Host a Baby

-You have assumed responsibility for a mewling, puking ball of life, a yellow-lab pup. He will spit his half-digested kibble all over your shoes, all over your hard-cover edition of Jennifer Haigh's novel  Faith . He will eat your tables, your chairs, your "I {Heart] Montessori" magnet, placed too low on the fridge. When you try to watch Bette Davis in  Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte , on your TV, your dog will bark through the murder-prologue, for no apparent reason. He will whimper through Lena Dunham's  Girls , such that you have to rewind several times to catch every nuance of Andrew Rannells's ad-libbing--and, still, you'll have a nagging suspicion you've missed something. Your dog will poop on the kitchen floor, in the hallway, between the tiny bars of his crate. He'll announce his wakefulness at 5 AM, 2 AM, or while you and another human are mid-coitus. All this, and you get outside, and it's: "Don't let him pee on my tulips!" When

Josh at Five

 Joshie's project is "flexibility"; the goal is to see that a plan is just an idea, not a gospel, not a guarantee. This is difficult. Yesterday, we went to a restaurant--billed as "open," with unlocked doors--and the owner informed us of an "error in advertising." But Joshie couldn't accept the word "closed." He threw himself on the floor, then climbed on the furniture. I felt for the owner, until he nervously made a reference to "the glass windows." He imagined that my child might toss himself through a sealed window, like Mary Katherine Gallagher, or like Bruce Willis, in "Die Hard." Then--thank the Lord!--I was able to laugh. The thing that really has therapeutic value for Joshie is: a firetruck. If we are out in public, and he spots a parked truck, he wants to climb on each surface. He breathlessly alludes to the wheels, the door, the windows. If an actual fire station ("fire ocean," in Joshie's parla

Susie at Three

 In the "Ramona Quimby" books, Ramona copes with existential horror; she is wearing a costume, for Halloween, and she entertains the thought that *no one* in her world might recognize her. If no one sees her as Ramona, then who is she? I tried to play a game with my daughter; I asked, "Are you my cinnamon donut?" To my surprise, Susie was sort of furious. "I am *not* your cinnamon donut. I am Susie." "Are you my berry lollipop?" "I am *not* your berry lollipop. I am Susie." I understand that I myself am impetuous, but it's a new experience to see this same behavior in a tiny human. Susie will not accept any help, when approaching her carseat, but, also, she lacks a plan; she just hurls herself at the seat, then gets distracted. She throws a look over her shoulder, to give me new instructions: "Papa, do NOT help me. Do NOT carry me right now." Except that she has heard the question, "Carry you?" many, many times,