Skip to main content

You ARE Bold, Sir

Some Great Moments in Louis CK's "2017"--

-Louie expresses frustration when recalling a transgender friend. "I read her journal, and I just found myself sobbing. And then I grew jealous. I grew jealous because this person woke up and noted, I'm aware of precisely the thing that is wrong with me, and then she corrected that thing. But I don't have a name for the thing wrong with me. It's just this shapeless cloud of depression. I will not wake up one day and think, Oh! I'm actually an owl! That's what I need to do to be happy! I need to blink slowly and eat some mice!" (I have often envied transgender artists for the drama of the story they get to tell--and I'm certain that that's an unfair and un-PC thing to admit. And nevertheless it is true. I sat in an audience in front of Jennifer Finney Boylan and heard her dramatic story of "throwing myself toward the edge of a windy cliff and just letting the wind decide what to do with me"--and mainly, I thought, that sneaky capitalist knew, on some level, that she had a world-class story bubbling, and she has made MOUNDS OF CASH with that story. I imagine I was not the only writer in that audience having those thoughts. And God Bless JF Boylan for making use of that story--on I AM CAIT, among other places--as any sane writer would have done. I just wish Boylan--who, the day I saw her, seemed to be phoning things in--might have said, to her audience, "This story is now my bread and butter, and I want to be clear about that." Well, maybe I'm not making any sense here. Maybe I'm simply, unjustly resentful toward someone who knew what she wanted and went after it. Resentful and deeply envious. Such is life!)

-Louie says, "Love is like a balloon--and then the air floods out. That's just what it does. Every time. It's the definition of balloon-ness. It's in the nature of the balloon." This deeply cynical, defamiliarizing move recalls other times when Louie has asked us to discard sentiment and view life as an alien. A next-door neighbor begins a weird power game about his noise level; Louie, like an alien, chooses not to play the game but to *comment* on the game: "You are going to be an asshole if you want to be. Goodbye!" Louie tells a story of once having been on an airplane with a particularly pushy mother; the mother said, "*I* am going to take your seat because *I* have a baby." Like an alien, Louie did not engage; he considered that he didn't really want to attend the meeting he was flying to, and so he simply stood and left the plane. "Abortion is either taking a shit or killing a baby. It's one of those two things. It's nothing in-between." Or, at a parent meeting: "The kids are listless in the afternoon? Maybe it's not because of their diet, or their amount of outdoor playtime? Maybe it's because--you know--school sucks? Remember? School sucks?"

-Louie has a genius for pinpointing absurdities within communication. In his sitcom, frequently, dialogues are punctured by long, painful silences, in which the two estranged characters search each other with their eyes. In an early episode, a crazy lady appears in an apartment doorway, and she says, "Whatever you do, do NOT come near. I am NOT wearing any clothing." Louie rolls his eyes. "Look away, sir. Stand back. For I am NOT wearing any clothing." Louie: "Look, you're gonna show me your boobs; that's where this is headed; why not get it over with." Old Lady, gasping: "Sir! You offend my honor!!" Long, painful silence, with uncomfortable staring. And the lady flashes her boobs. Or the great Gaby Hoffmann exchange: "Wait, is this a breakup? Go ahead and do it. Say the words. Can you not just say the words? All right, I will be the mother here. I think things aren't working, and we should just part ways--" In "2017," Louie again mines gold from the idea of communication. I especially love the email bit. You become incensed and eager to prove all your trivial, ego-driven points. You craft an email like a Hilary Mantel novel; you have it proofed by several members of your staff. You send it out into the world, and you interpret your interlocutor's silence to be proof that she is floored by the potency of your observations. She is thinking, OH MY GOD, I WAS WRONG ABOUT ALL THE THINGS! Then you go back to reread your email, just out of self-admiration, as an act of "scratching your ass and then sniffing your fingers." And you notice, at the top of the email: "LATEST DRAFT--IS THIS OK?" (How can you not do a little cheer when you reach this punchline with Louie? Like Junot Diaz, Louie has a gift for "seeing" me and making me feel less alone. I really think that's the greatest thing anyone can offer to anyone else.) Anyway, the communication bit climaxes in a wonderful observation about twelve-year-olds. "How did they learn this Elizabethan parlor game that they use for dating? Would your fair maiden consent to an evening with my gentleman friend, were he to make his desires known? That is well." The gentleman friend speaks up: "And may I finger her? Finger her I shall." This bit includes the line--"You ARE bold, Sir"--spoken in a British accent, and it's a delight to envision twelve-year-olds, hunched over lunch boxes, speaking these words. Louie has always taken some of his greatest mileage from kids--imagining a father/child dialogue about Lady Gaga, recalling a little girl's joke about an ape at the ballet--and it's nice to see him returning to this material. I'd argue that the problem of raising daughters is *the central concern* of the sitcom "Louie," and that the other stuff, the dates, the depressed comedians, is just icing on the cake. A father takes his little daughter to see an octogenarian aunt who refers to certain cookies as "n***er toes." What do you do with that? You make comedy gold. I really hope Louis CK will return to his sitcom sometime soon.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Host a Baby

-You have assumed responsibility for a mewling, puking ball of life, a yellow-lab pup. He will spit his half-digested kibble all over your shoes, all over your hard-cover edition of Jennifer Haigh's novel  Faith . He will eat your tables, your chairs, your "I {Heart] Montessori" magnet, placed too low on the fridge. When you try to watch Bette Davis in  Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte , on your TV, your dog will bark through the murder-prologue, for no apparent reason. He will whimper through Lena Dunham's  Girls , such that you have to rewind several times to catch every nuance of Andrew Rannells's ad-libbing--and, still, you'll have a nagging suspicion you've missed something. Your dog will poop on the kitchen floor, in the hallway, between the tiny bars of his crate. He'll announce his wakefulness at 5 AM, 2 AM, or while you and another human are mid-coitus. All this, and you get outside, and it's: "Don't let him pee on my tulips!" When...

Raymond Carver: "What's in Alaska?"

Outside, Mary held Jack's arm and walked with her head down. They moved slowly on the sidewalk. He listened to the scuffing sounds her shoes made. He heard the sharp and separate sound of a dog barking and above that a murmuring of very distant traffic.  She raised her head. "When we get home, Jack, I want to be fucked, talked to, diverted. Divert me, Jack. I need to be diverted tonight." She tightened her hold on his arm. He could feel the dampness in that shoe. He unlocked the door and flipped the light. "Come to bed," she said. "I'm coming," he said. He went to the kitchen and drank two glasses of water. He turned off the living-room light and felt his way along the wall into the bedroom. "Jack!" she yelled. "Jack!" "Jesus Christ, it's me!" he said. "I'm trying to get the light on." He found the lamp, and she sat up in bed. Her eyes were bright. He pulled the stem on the alarm and b...

My Favorite Pop Song

  One thing I admire about Prince is his weirdly pretentious verses: Dream, if you can, a courtyard-- An ocean of violets in bloom. Also: Touch, if you will, my stomach. Feel how it trembles inside. No one else writes like this. Did people try to shoot down these choices? Did a producer say, "We'd like to rethink this one... Touch, if you will, my stomach...."  I can't help but wonder. But it's the chorus that makes this a classic. It's direct and universal--and it ends with that bizarre flourish, the allusion to "the crying doves." (Prince's song was number one in America for quite a while; it defeated Bruce Springsteen's "Dancing in the Dark.") How can you just leave me standing-- Alone in a world that's so cold? Maybe I'm just too demanding. Maybe I'm just like my father--too bold. Maybe you're just like my mother; She's never satisfied. Why do we scream at each other? This is what it sounds like when doves cr...