Skip to main content

Prince: “When Doves Cry"


We don’t spend adequate time considering the profound weirdness and intelligence of “When Doves Cry.”


Dig, if you will, the picture
Of you and I engaged in a kiss
The sweat of your body covers me
Can you, my darling,
Can you picture this?
Dream, if you can, a courtyard
An ocean of violets in bloom
Animals strike curious poses
They feel the heat
The heat between me and you
How can you just leave me standing?
Alone in a world that's so cold (so cold)
Maybe I'm just too demanding
Maybe I'm just like my father, too bold
Maybe you're just like my mother
She's never satisfied (she's never satisfied)
Why do we scream at each other?
This is what it sounds like 
When doves cry
Touch, if you will, my stomach
Feel how it trembles inside
You've got the butterflies... all tied up...
Don't make me chase you
Even doves have pride
How could you just leave me standing?
Alone in a world so cold? (world so cold)
Maybe I'm just too demanding
Maybe I'm just like my father, too bold
Maybe you're just like my mother
She's never satisfied (she's never satisfied)
Why do we scream at each other?
This is what it sounds like 
When doves cry
How can you just leave me standing?
Alone in a world that's so cold? (a world that's so cold)
Maybe I'm just too demanding (maybe, maybe I'm like my father)
Maybe I'm just like my father too bold (you know he's too bold)
Maybe you're just like my mother (maybe you're just like my mother)
She's never satisfied (she's never, never satisfied)
Why do we scream at each other? (why do we scream, why)
This is what it sounds like 
When doves cry
When doves cry (doves cry, doves cry)
When doves cry (doves cry, doves cry)
Don't cry (don't cry)




Just a few things. “You’ve got the butterflies all tied up”--? Is this a mixing of metaphors? Is the proper punctuation: “You’ve got the butterflies....[your stomach is] all tied up [in knots]”--? Surely it’s not the butterflies themselves who are tied up. Is it? How many other pop songs drag the parents into the picture? “Maybe I’m just like my father, too bold. Maybe you’re just like my mother; she’s never satisfied.” In the world of romance, we are doomed both to to date and to become our parents! Freud knew this. But how many other pop writers take time to consider this bit of lunacy? (It seems to me that Prince is often both reporting on and satirizing certain feelings. I imagine him chuckling about the young lover who wrings his hands about the legacy of his own father. Someone once accused Prince of lacking a sense of humor, but I think he was very funny. Think of the young lady with “the pocket full of horses, Trojans, some of them used!” How can you not giggle at that line?)

Prince mixes “high” and “low” diction. He starts with a command: “Dig, if you will, the picture...” (There’s parallel structure: Each verse starts with a command. Did you notice that? “Dream, if you can, a courtyard.” “Touch, if you will, my stomach.”) There’s the grungy just-folks quality of “dig the picture.” But then there’s the Victorian tea-sipping dimension of “if you will...” And the Victorian crumpets-and-doilies aura of “Can you, my darling? Can you picture this?” Who else writes this way? “Engaged in a kiss.” Wacky! There’s a long-running comparison between humans and non-human animals. We’re all just feral cats! “The sweat of your body covers me.” “Animals strike curious poses; they feel the heat between me and you.” Even the floral world gets involved; Prince’s sexual passion is like “an ocean of violets [read: sex organs] in bloom.” And then the great metaphor for weak, well-intentioned people making a mess of things: “This, our fighting, is what it sounds like when doves cry.”

This song makes me think of another masterpiece in pop culture history, Robyn’s “Dancing on My Own.” Both are triumphant, in part, because they resist catharsis. They both give us losers feeling pain, and so we listen and feel less alone! Stupefied sadness: The human condition. “How can you just leave me standing alone in a world that’s so cold?” “I’m in the corner, watching you kiss her; I’m right over here, why can’t you see me?” There are no satisfying answers to these questions. Such is life.

In my early twenties, I would run, and run, and run with Prince. He was in my ears, always. I was a bit of an airhead. I could not hold down a job; my head was in the clouds. More specifically, it was with Prince, making his “coat of pink cashmere,” protesting, “I could put my arms around every boy I see--but they only remind me of you.” All I can do is just offer you my love. Prince helped to explain the world to me. Or at least parts of it. What more could you require from a writer?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Host a Baby

-You have assumed responsibility for a mewling, puking ball of life, a yellow-lab pup. He will spit his half-digested kibble all over your shoes, all over your hard-cover edition of Jennifer Haigh's novel  Faith . He will eat your tables, your chairs, your "I {Heart] Montessori" magnet, placed too low on the fridge. When you try to watch Bette Davis in  Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte , on your TV, your dog will bark through the murder-prologue, for no apparent reason. He will whimper through Lena Dunham's  Girls , such that you have to rewind several times to catch every nuance of Andrew Rannells's ad-libbing--and, still, you'll have a nagging suspicion you've missed something. Your dog will poop on the kitchen floor, in the hallway, between the tiny bars of his crate. He'll announce his wakefulness at 5 AM, 2 AM, or while you and another human are mid-coitus. All this, and you get outside, and it's: "Don't let him pee on my tulips!" When...

Raymond Carver: "What's in Alaska?"

Outside, Mary held Jack's arm and walked with her head down. They moved slowly on the sidewalk. He listened to the scuffing sounds her shoes made. He heard the sharp and separate sound of a dog barking and above that a murmuring of very distant traffic.  She raised her head. "When we get home, Jack, I want to be fucked, talked to, diverted. Divert me, Jack. I need to be diverted tonight." She tightened her hold on his arm. He could feel the dampness in that shoe. He unlocked the door and flipped the light. "Come to bed," she said. "I'm coming," he said. He went to the kitchen and drank two glasses of water. He turned off the living-room light and felt his way along the wall into the bedroom. "Jack!" she yelled. "Jack!" "Jesus Christ, it's me!" he said. "I'm trying to get the light on." He found the lamp, and she sat up in bed. Her eyes were bright. He pulled the stem on the alarm and b...

My Favorite Pop Song

  One thing I admire about Prince is his weirdly pretentious verses: Dream, if you can, a courtyard-- An ocean of violets in bloom. Also: Touch, if you will, my stomach. Feel how it trembles inside. No one else writes like this. Did people try to shoot down these choices? Did a producer say, "We'd like to rethink this one... Touch, if you will, my stomach...."  I can't help but wonder. But it's the chorus that makes this a classic. It's direct and universal--and it ends with that bizarre flourish, the allusion to "the crying doves." (Prince's song was number one in America for quite a while; it defeated Bruce Springsteen's "Dancing in the Dark.") How can you just leave me standing-- Alone in a world that's so cold? Maybe I'm just too demanding. Maybe I'm just like my father--too bold. Maybe you're just like my mother; She's never satisfied. Why do we scream at each other? This is what it sounds like when doves cr...