Skip to main content

5. 4. 3. 2. 1.

(5) Everyone loves "A Star Is Born." I was clearly, emphatically wrong. Mea culpa. Even the reviewers with reservations about the movie seem to go wild for Lady Gaga's performance. So, Lady Gaga: I apologize. Maybe I was upset that I once auditioned to teach at Sacred Heart and didn't get the job. May I one day attain Little Monster status, if I atone well and play my cards right.

(4) A few other things to love about "Insecure" this season. Issa wants to elicit praise from Nathan, who has ghosted her. So she posts an alluring photo on Instagram. "Feeling cute!" she writes. Of course, this does not win for her what she wants. A bitchy writer immediately responds: "Not a good choice. You look needy/thirsty." (We don't have to recognize the name to understand, immediately, that this is Issa's sibling. This is the kind of candor that only a sibling can provide.)

And then a throwaway detail that I love: Frieda, Issa's former colleague, writes in and says: "Omigod! I have that top, too!!!" This tells us so much about Frieda: about her forgiving nature, and about her strong need to recruit Issa as a friend. And Issa's non-response tells us something about Issa, in turn: This person could be nicer to the former associate who covered for her over and over. Meanwhile, no response from Nathan. A very small bit of writing, and yet so incisive, and so true to life. One of my favorite moments.

(3) Also, regarding "Insecure": I can't think of many other shows that have addressed ghosting in this way. (I think of the novel "Unless," by Carol Shields, which is slightly different. I also think Alan Hollinghurst's "Folding Star" touches on the ghosting theme.) When Nathan does resurface, he gives a plausible and semi-compelling half-explanation for his hostile behavior: "I just got really depressed--and sometimes, when I'm in that mood, I just do that. I disappear. It had nothing to do with you." I mostly buy this story--and yet it's not a ringing endorsement for Nathan's character. I'm enchanted. Eager to see how Issa responds. (And you know who did the *ultimate* ghosting story? Alice Munro. It was "Simon's Luck." This was well before "ghosting" was even a word. And then, years later, Munro returned to the theme with "Deep-Holes." Now I'm wondering what Issa Rae makes of Alice Munro.)

(2) Rebecca Naomi Jones storms St. Ann's Warehouse soon in "Oklahoma!" This is my favorite of the R and H shows, because it has a freshness; the story seems not to have hardened into a template. I also like that it starts and ends with the land. The exuberance in the story seems partly linked with a kind of national celebration; the span of the first Broadway run extended from the second half of WWII through the start of peacetime. And how do you compete with "Out of My Dreams," "People Will Say We're in Love," "O, What a Beautiful Morning"--?

RNJ attended Grace Church School--and that place should have banners in her honor. I always link her with "Passing Strange": "I've been listening to you talking in your sleep....It's a strange poetry...You're always running from something, it seems." So happy to see this artist finding continued success.

(1) What if Achilles murdered your husband and took you as his concubine? Was there a rat-borne plague toward the end of the Trojan War? If you had to choose between slavery and suicide, which would you choose? Was there rivalry among the concubines? What differing attitudes did the concubines take to their situation? Exactly what was happening between Patroclus and Achilles--and if the erotic thing "waned," then what took its place?

These are all questions the living legend Pat Barker has been considering--and now, thanks to "The Silence of the Girls," we can do some considering, as well. Not much humor, but the strangeness of the situation, and the toughness/heroism of Briseis, can suck you in. Recommended.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Host a Baby

-You have assumed responsibility for a mewling, puking ball of life, a yellow-lab pup. He will spit his half-digested kibble all over your shoes, all over your hard-cover edition of Jennifer Haigh's novel  Faith . He will eat your tables, your chairs, your "I {Heart] Montessori" magnet, placed too low on the fridge. When you try to watch Bette Davis in  Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte , on your TV, your dog will bark through the murder-prologue, for no apparent reason. He will whimper through Lena Dunham's  Girls , such that you have to rewind several times to catch every nuance of Andrew Rannells's ad-libbing--and, still, you'll have a nagging suspicion you've missed something. Your dog will poop on the kitchen floor, in the hallway, between the tiny bars of his crate. He'll announce his wakefulness at 5 AM, 2 AM, or while you and another human are mid-coitus. All this, and you get outside, and it's: "Don't let him pee on my tulips!" When...

Raymond Carver: "What's in Alaska?"

Outside, Mary held Jack's arm and walked with her head down. They moved slowly on the sidewalk. He listened to the scuffing sounds her shoes made. He heard the sharp and separate sound of a dog barking and above that a murmuring of very distant traffic.  She raised her head. "When we get home, Jack, I want to be fucked, talked to, diverted. Divert me, Jack. I need to be diverted tonight." She tightened her hold on his arm. He could feel the dampness in that shoe. He unlocked the door and flipped the light. "Come to bed," she said. "I'm coming," he said. He went to the kitchen and drank two glasses of water. He turned off the living-room light and felt his way along the wall into the bedroom. "Jack!" she yelled. "Jack!" "Jesus Christ, it's me!" he said. "I'm trying to get the light on." He found the lamp, and she sat up in bed. Her eyes were bright. He pulled the stem on the alarm and b...

My Favorite Pop Song

  One thing I admire about Prince is his weirdly pretentious verses: Dream, if you can, a courtyard-- An ocean of violets in bloom. Also: Touch, if you will, my stomach. Feel how it trembles inside. No one else writes like this. Did people try to shoot down these choices? Did a producer say, "We'd like to rethink this one... Touch, if you will, my stomach...."  I can't help but wonder. But it's the chorus that makes this a classic. It's direct and universal--and it ends with that bizarre flourish, the allusion to "the crying doves." (Prince's song was number one in America for quite a while; it defeated Bruce Springsteen's "Dancing in the Dark.") How can you just leave me standing-- Alone in a world that's so cold? Maybe I'm just too demanding. Maybe I'm just like my father--too bold. Maybe you're just like my mother; She's never satisfied. Why do we scream at each other? This is what it sounds like when doves cr...