Skip to main content

The ABCs of Broadway

A is for Annie, Get Your Gun. Irving Berlin wrote this when he was sort-of-washed-up. It was a come-back. He had help from Rodgers and Hammerstein. There's some speculation that the help was more extensive than the surface story would suggest.

Bernadette Peters won her second Tony--after a long dry spell--for a Gun revival. She maybe didn't deserve it. Her accent was very, very broad and distracting. People felt that her replacement--Reba McEntire--actually did a better job than she, BP, had done. (It pains me to type this.)

I spent a fair amount of the latter half of my high school years visiting the Bernadette Peters website. She wrote quite a bit about her touring schedule, and her love for dogs. I went to NYC, ostensibly to tour a university, but really to see Ms. Peters on stage (in 1999). Years later, after the big British Petroleum spill, I was given a Bernadette shirt with her image, centered, on the front, under a tagline: "The BP who Isn't Fucking up the Planet."

B is for Bernadette Peters, because there's still more to say about her. I really loved her Royal Albert Hall concert, but I wasn't wild about her decision to turn "Happiness" into a solo.

"Happiness" is the start of Stephen Sondheim's "Passion." It's shocking and revolutionary (because, of course, we're talking about Sondheim). There are many moments of profound weirdness: Two naked lovers reach climax (on-stage!), the climax is matched by a striking discordant note, the opening observation is the bizarre declaration, "I'm so happy I'm afraid I'll die!" ... The lovers admit that their love grew out of the pity they once felt for each other ... The lovers actually argue, and correct, each other, over and over, for most of the song ... The lovers mock themselves for being cliches ... The woman mourns being "not young enough" ... All these little twists are ways in which "Happiness" differs from a more-boilerplate Broadway love song. Fascinating and rich and oddly-close-to-life and radical.

This is lost in Bernadette's version, because she turns the duet into a solo. So it becomes formless, and it seems to ramble. So Bernadette soured me on "Passion," before I actually saw the show. Again, I don't mean to tamp down your BP love. But this is some real talk.

C is for Columbia University. That's the school I was ostensibly visiting when I instead put all of my attention on Bernadette Peters. In that same weekend, my parents and I saw LaChanze in "Ragtime." What a thrill--because she had replaced Audra McDonald, and yet she was just as talented as Audra. (And maybe more talented? Maybe more vibrant and effortless, on stage? I know it's heresy to type that.)

I had seen "Ragtime" once before, in Toronto, but this is my problem: I don't always love trying new things. Why discover a new author when you can go back to the reliable pleasures of Barbara Pym, or Ron Rash, or Ian Rankin? (This has always been my issue.) The original "Ragtime," in Toronto, had a typo in the cast recording: "He Wanted to Say" was misprinted as "He Wanted to Sa." Impetuous gay boy that I was, I immediately concluded that "Sa" was some kind of early American dance-step, and that the number in question would be some tedious bit of comic relief, some moment of canned levity while we paused to catch our breath between big ballads. (Sort of like "Life Upon the Wicked Stage," in "Showboat." Blech.) Boy, was I wrong!

"He Wanted to Say" was like an effort to be Sondheim-ian. It was F-and-A saying, "Look, *we* can do subtext, too!" But, like so many other moments in "Ragtime," the subtext here was leaden and overwrought and not as clever as it wanted to be. I thought that at seventeen. I think it now.

I share these thoughts, in part, because I feel inspired by Tim Federle's "Nate Expectations." Which might as well be my spiritual autobiography. Fun asides about Mazzie, Chenoweth, Patti Lupone. ("Even though she has won like thirty Tony Awards, I still think she is underrated.") Have we made it only to C? My goodness! More later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Host a Baby

-You have assumed responsibility for a mewling, puking ball of life, a yellow-lab pup. He will spit his half-digested kibble all over your shoes, all over your hard-cover edition of Jennifer Haigh's novel  Faith . He will eat your tables, your chairs, your "I {Heart] Montessori" magnet, placed too low on the fridge. When you try to watch Bette Davis in  Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte , on your TV, your dog will bark through the murder-prologue, for no apparent reason. He will whimper through Lena Dunham's  Girls , such that you have to rewind several times to catch every nuance of Andrew Rannells's ad-libbing--and, still, you'll have a nagging suspicion you've missed something. Your dog will poop on the kitchen floor, in the hallway, between the tiny bars of his crate. He'll announce his wakefulness at 5 AM, 2 AM, or while you and another human are mid-coitus. All this, and you get outside, and it's: "Don't let him pee on my tulips!" When...

Raymond Carver: "What's in Alaska?"

Outside, Mary held Jack's arm and walked with her head down. They moved slowly on the sidewalk. He listened to the scuffing sounds her shoes made. He heard the sharp and separate sound of a dog barking and above that a murmuring of very distant traffic.  She raised her head. "When we get home, Jack, I want to be fucked, talked to, diverted. Divert me, Jack. I need to be diverted tonight." She tightened her hold on his arm. He could feel the dampness in that shoe. He unlocked the door and flipped the light. "Come to bed," she said. "I'm coming," he said. He went to the kitchen and drank two glasses of water. He turned off the living-room light and felt his way along the wall into the bedroom. "Jack!" she yelled. "Jack!" "Jesus Christ, it's me!" he said. "I'm trying to get the light on." He found the lamp, and she sat up in bed. Her eyes were bright. He pulled the stem on the alarm and b...

My Favorite Pop Song

  One thing I admire about Prince is his weirdly pretentious verses: Dream, if you can, a courtyard-- An ocean of violets in bloom. Also: Touch, if you will, my stomach. Feel how it trembles inside. No one else writes like this. Did people try to shoot down these choices? Did a producer say, "We'd like to rethink this one... Touch, if you will, my stomach...."  I can't help but wonder. But it's the chorus that makes this a classic. It's direct and universal--and it ends with that bizarre flourish, the allusion to "the crying doves." (Prince's song was number one in America for quite a while; it defeated Bruce Springsteen's "Dancing in the Dark.") How can you just leave me standing-- Alone in a world that's so cold? Maybe I'm just too demanding. Maybe I'm just like my father--too bold. Maybe you're just like my mother; She's never satisfied. Why do we scream at each other? This is what it sounds like when doves cr...