All right, folks! Let's solve this case.
*Here is what bugs me now. "Trace Evidence" seems dismissive of people who believe the professor was involved in the murder. I'm willing to say this guy is likely innocent. (He was generous with police, took a polygraph, etc.) But, also: The professor didn't really have an alibi for the night of the murder, and his house was quite close to the killing spot. So, interest in the professor does not seem off-base to me.
*Jovin complained to others about the professor's lack of scholarly interest in her work, but the professor himself says she always seemed pleased when they met. Which makes me wonder: Was Jovin maybe slightly duplicitous? (Though how many of us would have the chutzpah to stand up to a Yale professor?) If Jovin was slightly dishonest in this area of her life, was she also hiding other things from other people? Was she having an affair? Was the guy who borrowed the GRE book also the object of Jovin's illicit affections? And was this guy also the murderer? And who was Jovin's boyfriend? We hear allusions to him--he was innocent, he was on the train back from NYC at the time of the murder, yadda yadda--but presumably he has a bit more to say about Jovin and her private life?
*Jovin's email to a friend said, "Come and pick up my GRE books. I just need to get them back from someone I loaned them to." Then the email gave the code for Jovin's apartment building. This seems to imply the books would be available later that same night--but no specific time was given. So I guess it's safe to say Jovin was running out to Phelps with the intention of getting back her GRE books (along with at least one other task, having to do with the borrowed keys)? And to say that the guy/girl holding the GRE books was then likely the murderer? (One thing I love about "Trace Evidence" is that it lingers over a German to English translation. Some say Jovin wrote, in German, "I'm reborrowing the books from SOMEONE." Some say the email actually said: "I'm reborrowing the books from A FRIEND." Apparently, the German language can create this sense of ambiguity. I love this! And I'm with "Trace Evidence" in the argument that Jovin really did know her killer, and knew him fairly well, even if she used the vague noun "someone." There was rage in those seventeen knife strokes. There was something deeply personal.)
*Like a literary scholar, the "Trace Evidence" guy takes pains to analyze Jovin's character. She has taken on a damsel in distress aura. But that's not who she was. She was physically tough and emotionally bold. She wanted to take on the world. She wasn't interested in wealth, but in helping people (in an ambitious way). Her drive was such that she wrote not one, but two, senior essays. (All of this calls to mind a charming/insufferable Yale undergrad archetype I'm well-acquainted with.) DNA was found under Jovin's corpse's fingernails--and I like this detail, as well. To me, it suggests that Jovin FOUGHT BACK. I think I would have liked Jovin.
*Much is made of the Fresca bottle. You could get a Fresca only at Krauszer's, which is now closed. (It closed during my freshman year.) If Jovin bought one the night of her murder, wouldn't it make sense to view surveillance footage of Krauszer's? (Footage that apparently really does exist?) Yet the police seem not to have done this? (There's a truckload of ink spilled on the incompetence of the New Haven police. I have to believe that they're doing more than they seem to do, and that they are withholding all the facts because they are narrowing in on an arrest. They don't want to contaminate their case. I have to believe this.) Anyway, I have another observation about the Fresca bottle. Jovin may have simply bought it weeks ago, and stored it in her mini-fridge. Just a thought.
*If, as Jovin suggested to a few friends, she was really tired and just wanted to get to sleep as quickly as possible, why did she then consent to get into someone's car or van (and ride to East Rock)? Was Jovin not fully telling the truth?
I suppose I haven't solved the case here. The mind reels! Old cases like this are in fact solved; they are solved on a semi-regular basis. I'm so excited and hopeful that this one might be brought to a close, as well.
*Here is what bugs me now. "Trace Evidence" seems dismissive of people who believe the professor was involved in the murder. I'm willing to say this guy is likely innocent. (He was generous with police, took a polygraph, etc.) But, also: The professor didn't really have an alibi for the night of the murder, and his house was quite close to the killing spot. So, interest in the professor does not seem off-base to me.
*Jovin complained to others about the professor's lack of scholarly interest in her work, but the professor himself says she always seemed pleased when they met. Which makes me wonder: Was Jovin maybe slightly duplicitous? (Though how many of us would have the chutzpah to stand up to a Yale professor?) If Jovin was slightly dishonest in this area of her life, was she also hiding other things from other people? Was she having an affair? Was the guy who borrowed the GRE book also the object of Jovin's illicit affections? And was this guy also the murderer? And who was Jovin's boyfriend? We hear allusions to him--he was innocent, he was on the train back from NYC at the time of the murder, yadda yadda--but presumably he has a bit more to say about Jovin and her private life?
*Jovin's email to a friend said, "Come and pick up my GRE books. I just need to get them back from someone I loaned them to." Then the email gave the code for Jovin's apartment building. This seems to imply the books would be available later that same night--but no specific time was given. So I guess it's safe to say Jovin was running out to Phelps with the intention of getting back her GRE books (along with at least one other task, having to do with the borrowed keys)? And to say that the guy/girl holding the GRE books was then likely the murderer? (One thing I love about "Trace Evidence" is that it lingers over a German to English translation. Some say Jovin wrote, in German, "I'm reborrowing the books from SOMEONE." Some say the email actually said: "I'm reborrowing the books from A FRIEND." Apparently, the German language can create this sense of ambiguity. I love this! And I'm with "Trace Evidence" in the argument that Jovin really did know her killer, and knew him fairly well, even if she used the vague noun "someone." There was rage in those seventeen knife strokes. There was something deeply personal.)
*Like a literary scholar, the "Trace Evidence" guy takes pains to analyze Jovin's character. She has taken on a damsel in distress aura. But that's not who she was. She was physically tough and emotionally bold. She wanted to take on the world. She wasn't interested in wealth, but in helping people (in an ambitious way). Her drive was such that she wrote not one, but two, senior essays. (All of this calls to mind a charming/insufferable Yale undergrad archetype I'm well-acquainted with.) DNA was found under Jovin's corpse's fingernails--and I like this detail, as well. To me, it suggests that Jovin FOUGHT BACK. I think I would have liked Jovin.
*Much is made of the Fresca bottle. You could get a Fresca only at Krauszer's, which is now closed. (It closed during my freshman year.) If Jovin bought one the night of her murder, wouldn't it make sense to view surveillance footage of Krauszer's? (Footage that apparently really does exist?) Yet the police seem not to have done this? (There's a truckload of ink spilled on the incompetence of the New Haven police. I have to believe that they're doing more than they seem to do, and that they are withholding all the facts because they are narrowing in on an arrest. They don't want to contaminate their case. I have to believe this.) Anyway, I have another observation about the Fresca bottle. Jovin may have simply bought it weeks ago, and stored it in her mini-fridge. Just a thought.
*If, as Jovin suggested to a few friends, she was really tired and just wanted to get to sleep as quickly as possible, why did she then consent to get into someone's car or van (and ride to East Rock)? Was Jovin not fully telling the truth?
I suppose I haven't solved the case here. The mind reels! Old cases like this are in fact solved; they are solved on a semi-regular basis. I'm so excited and hopeful that this one might be brought to a close, as well.
Comments
Post a Comment