Skip to main content

New York Times

A word of praise for Ellie Kemper, who did an especially smart "By the Book" in the NYTimes this weekend.

A few things to notice. First, she names Richard Yates's "The Easter Parade" as an all-time favorite. If you have not yet read this one, please read it! Kemper is right that Yates blends a literary sensibility with an admirable sense of unpretentiousness. She's also right to say that there is something addictive about "those depressing Grimes sisters." Even though terrible things happen to Yates's characters, you feel somehow comforted while reading about them. It's the compassion Yates has for people: He says, You're not alone. (Kemper isn't the only Yates fan. In the new movie "Private Life," Jenkins gives her protagonists the surname "Grimes," and I'm sure this is a tip of the hat to Yates.)

Also, note Kemper's description of an ideal reading session. A full hour- 4:30 to 5:30 in the morning- with a huge pot of coffee "just for myself." I think Kemper is right to name this as ideal. Your head can be wonderfully clear and alert in the morning. The hedonism of a full, private jug of coffee feels right. Reading is mentally draining; adding a drug is never a bad idea. (I believe more people would have happier lives if they accepted that one portion of reading is work. If you grant yourself an endless supply of caffeine, and you really commit to being alone with your book for an hour, then wonderful things can happen.) Finally, I know what Kemper means when she says that emerging from an hour of reading feels like a kind of rebirth; your thoughts are (briefly) sharper. I don't believe that that's the right motive for reading--I think reading should really be done for pleasure--but that sense of clarity is a nice side effect.

Kemper's admiration for Nora Ephron, and her distaste for Wilkie Collins ("Why did that woman wear so much white???"): These features are charming.

And I even liked Kemper's unwillingness to slam Trump in one of the final questions. I believe Trump deserves getting slammed, obviously, but Kemper's resistance to that is one sign of her delightful contrarian outlook. She's saying: "Look, the Trump jokes, in this particular section, have grown stale. I'm going to do something different." God bless her for that.

If you have perused the Times "Best Of" book lists, and have some questions, here are my thoughts: "The Perfect Nanny" really is a fun, nasty thriller, and I appreciate that it received attention. The translated title is unfortunate; it makes this book seem "Gone Girl"-esque, and it isn't actually "Gone Girl"-esque. "Early Work" was one of my favorite novels of the year, and I haven't seen anyone, beyond the NYT writer, giving it credit and attention. So, please take heed: "Early Work" is a success. It takes you into another world. It feels fresh. That's not a small achievement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Host a Baby

-You have assumed responsibility for a mewling, puking ball of life, a yellow-lab pup. He will spit his half-digested kibble all over your shoes, all over your hard-cover edition of Jennifer Haigh's novel  Faith . He will eat your tables, your chairs, your "I {Heart] Montessori" magnet, placed too low on the fridge. When you try to watch Bette Davis in  Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte , on your TV, your dog will bark through the murder-prologue, for no apparent reason. He will whimper through Lena Dunham's  Girls , such that you have to rewind several times to catch every nuance of Andrew Rannells's ad-libbing--and, still, you'll have a nagging suspicion you've missed something. Your dog will poop on the kitchen floor, in the hallway, between the tiny bars of his crate. He'll announce his wakefulness at 5 AM, 2 AM, or while you and another human are mid-coitus. All this, and you get outside, and it's: "Don't let him pee on my tulips!" When...

Raymond Carver: "What's in Alaska?"

Outside, Mary held Jack's arm and walked with her head down. They moved slowly on the sidewalk. He listened to the scuffing sounds her shoes made. He heard the sharp and separate sound of a dog barking and above that a murmuring of very distant traffic.  She raised her head. "When we get home, Jack, I want to be fucked, talked to, diverted. Divert me, Jack. I need to be diverted tonight." She tightened her hold on his arm. He could feel the dampness in that shoe. He unlocked the door and flipped the light. "Come to bed," she said. "I'm coming," he said. He went to the kitchen and drank two glasses of water. He turned off the living-room light and felt his way along the wall into the bedroom. "Jack!" she yelled. "Jack!" "Jesus Christ, it's me!" he said. "I'm trying to get the light on." He found the lamp, and she sat up in bed. Her eyes were bright. He pulled the stem on the alarm and b...

My Favorite Pop Song

  One thing I admire about Prince is his weirdly pretentious verses: Dream, if you can, a courtyard-- An ocean of violets in bloom. Also: Touch, if you will, my stomach. Feel how it trembles inside. No one else writes like this. Did people try to shoot down these choices? Did a producer say, "We'd like to rethink this one... Touch, if you will, my stomach...."  I can't help but wonder. But it's the chorus that makes this a classic. It's direct and universal--and it ends with that bizarre flourish, the allusion to "the crying doves." (Prince's song was number one in America for quite a while; it defeated Bruce Springsteen's "Dancing in the Dark.") How can you just leave me standing-- Alone in a world that's so cold? Maybe I'm just too demanding. Maybe I'm just like my father--too bold. Maybe you're just like my mother; She's never satisfied. Why do we scream at each other? This is what it sounds like when doves cr...