January! A time for shutting out the world. A time for remaining in one's pajamas and enjoying the comfort of one's own four walls. May I suggest....
(1) Any work by Tessa Hadley. Ms. Hadley has a new novel coming out this coming Tuesday. She did not start publishing, in earnest, until she was 46--and now she is among our major writers--and so of course she has a place in my own late-blooming heart. (I mixed metaphors there!) Ms. Hadley is especially interested in how a narrative approaches the question of time, and elapsed time; she cites Ms. Munro, with her strange time experiments, as a major inspiration.
Mark your calendar. Tuesday! Tuesday! Tuesday!
(2) Scented candles. January is a month for scented candles.
(3) Strange true crime stories. Asha Degree, a tiny child, left her home in the wet and in the dark, around 4 AM, one day, and she was never seen again. What happened? And Robert Wone, allegedly heterosexual, arrived at the home of a gay thrupple, only to be drugged and stabbed. Was Mr. Wone in some way a consensual partner in at least a few of the events leading up to his death? Who did the final deed, and why?
(4) "Darkness, Take My Hand," by Dennis Lehane. Mr. Lehane is a prolific crime novelist; he belongs to that category called Crime Novelist with a Literary Twist. I, unfortunately, can predict at least a part of the shattering event that allegedly ends this particular novel; I've read later novels in the series. Still, any book that features--within the first 100 pages--a crucifixion, a mysterious pseudo-bisexual man, a poison pen campaign, and a Hepburn/Tracy rom-com sideshow.....is a book for me.
(5) Literary rankings. A great January past-time is: thinking of a prolific writer you love, then looking for people who have ranked that writer's works online. "Gone, Baby, Gone" is the *best* Lehane book, apparently. And "The Last Coyote" is a Michael Connelly masterwork. Who knew?
(6) The Edward Robinson Film Festival. Mr. Robinson ranked 24th on the list of America's greatest male film icons (Golden Age). I recommend "Scarlet Street" and "Double Indemnity," and though I haven't yet seen "Key Largo," I'm sure I'll end up recommending that, as well.
(7) YouTube "How To" clips. I can't get enough of these. "How to Store Your Christmas Lights." "How to Call in Sick." "How to Spend a Sick Day." "How to Store Your Ornaments." "How to Prepare a Beef Stir Fry." "How to Parallel Park." "How to Impress Your Driving Evaluator." A clip is so much better than an article, because you get fun visuals thrown in. Also, if, like this writer, you have spent years doing basic tasks impetuously, blindly, and badly--then YouTube has a great deal to teach you. For example: Your "I'm Sick" e-mail should include a few (not-too-gory) details, and should make explicit that you understand you are expending one sick day on your absence. It should indicate whether or not you will be checking work e-mail. And it should be infrequent: People who max out on sick days are people no one else would want to work with. Thanks, YouTube!
Who needs outdoor activities? Who needs to interact with "the world"? January is a month in which I really flourish. Plus, the days are getting longer! Pull out your jammies. Find your Smartfood popcorn. Join me in an antisocial adventure. You can thank me later.....
(1) Any work by Tessa Hadley. Ms. Hadley has a new novel coming out this coming Tuesday. She did not start publishing, in earnest, until she was 46--and now she is among our major writers--and so of course she has a place in my own late-blooming heart. (I mixed metaphors there!) Ms. Hadley is especially interested in how a narrative approaches the question of time, and elapsed time; she cites Ms. Munro, with her strange time experiments, as a major inspiration.
Mark your calendar. Tuesday! Tuesday! Tuesday!
(2) Scented candles. January is a month for scented candles.
(3) Strange true crime stories. Asha Degree, a tiny child, left her home in the wet and in the dark, around 4 AM, one day, and she was never seen again. What happened? And Robert Wone, allegedly heterosexual, arrived at the home of a gay thrupple, only to be drugged and stabbed. Was Mr. Wone in some way a consensual partner in at least a few of the events leading up to his death? Who did the final deed, and why?
(4) "Darkness, Take My Hand," by Dennis Lehane. Mr. Lehane is a prolific crime novelist; he belongs to that category called Crime Novelist with a Literary Twist. I, unfortunately, can predict at least a part of the shattering event that allegedly ends this particular novel; I've read later novels in the series. Still, any book that features--within the first 100 pages--a crucifixion, a mysterious pseudo-bisexual man, a poison pen campaign, and a Hepburn/Tracy rom-com sideshow.....is a book for me.
(5) Literary rankings. A great January past-time is: thinking of a prolific writer you love, then looking for people who have ranked that writer's works online. "Gone, Baby, Gone" is the *best* Lehane book, apparently. And "The Last Coyote" is a Michael Connelly masterwork. Who knew?
(6) The Edward Robinson Film Festival. Mr. Robinson ranked 24th on the list of America's greatest male film icons (Golden Age). I recommend "Scarlet Street" and "Double Indemnity," and though I haven't yet seen "Key Largo," I'm sure I'll end up recommending that, as well.
(7) YouTube "How To" clips. I can't get enough of these. "How to Store Your Christmas Lights." "How to Call in Sick." "How to Spend a Sick Day." "How to Store Your Ornaments." "How to Prepare a Beef Stir Fry." "How to Parallel Park." "How to Impress Your Driving Evaluator." A clip is so much better than an article, because you get fun visuals thrown in. Also, if, like this writer, you have spent years doing basic tasks impetuously, blindly, and badly--then YouTube has a great deal to teach you. For example: Your "I'm Sick" e-mail should include a few (not-too-gory) details, and should make explicit that you understand you are expending one sick day on your absence. It should indicate whether or not you will be checking work e-mail. And it should be infrequent: People who max out on sick days are people no one else would want to work with. Thanks, YouTube!
Who needs outdoor activities? Who needs to interact with "the world"? January is a month in which I really flourish. Plus, the days are getting longer! Pull out your jammies. Find your Smartfood popcorn. Join me in an antisocial adventure. You can thank me later.....
Comments
Post a Comment