Skip to main content

Gay Kids' Lit (New York Times)

A couple of friends sent to me, yesterday, the fun NYT piece about the secret gay history of children's writing. (Arnold Lobel, James Marshall, Tomie DePaola, Maurice Sendak and several others were all gay. DePaola is still gay; he's still alive.)

I had no idea the list was so long. I guess this should not be shocking; it seems to me that these men were writing, and drawing, at a time when a concern for a child's development was viewed as somewhat feminine. (To some extent, we're still living in that time. It seems more common, in Manhattan at least, for gay--rather than straight--men to work with little kids. I think that's because gay men don't care whether people view their work as feminine.) This isn't to say all men who have written for children are gay--but a surprising number *are* gay.

I hadn't known anything about James Marshall--really--except that Ed Marshall was actually a nom de plume. In other words, there was one guy--doubling as BOTH James AND Ed Marshall. This seems fitting; the writer of these books was clearly interested in masks, in assumed identities.

What do I mean? Consider Miss Swamp, in "Miss Nelson Is Missing." We're terrified of Miss Swamp--and the shocker, at the end, is that Miss Swamp is actually Miss Nelson in disguise.

Or Marshall's retelling of "Hansel and Gretel": Who is that awful Witch? She is the Step-mother, of course, wearing a mask. She is the nasty mom looking to do away with the children, while also holding on to her husband's regard.

Dressing up for Halloween plays a large role in "Space Case."

And one George and Martha story has George playing the Invisible Man; he imagines Martha is unaware of his secret voyeur habits, and he continues to assume the role of Responsible and Trustworthy Friend. Martha, in turn, assumes the role of Innocent, Unknowing Prey. The end of the story is the unmasking of George: Martha has known about George's double life, and we all chuckle at the restoration of order.

No one is arguing that non-gay writers aren't interested in social performances, in mask-wearing. But it does seem compelling, to me, to notice a link between years in the closet and *an interest in social disguises* ....Again, gayness is not required for talking about costumes and false identities. But I think you would have to be obtuse--and it seems many NYT readers ARE obtuse--if you refused to wonder how Marshall's own closeted experience fed into his choice of subjects.

That's all. I'm grateful for Jesse Green's article. More, please!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Host a Baby

-You have assumed responsibility for a mewling, puking ball of life, a yellow-lab pup. He will spit his half-digested kibble all over your shoes, all over your hard-cover edition of Jennifer Haigh's novel  Faith . He will eat your tables, your chairs, your "I {Heart] Montessori" magnet, placed too low on the fridge. When you try to watch Bette Davis in  Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte , on your TV, your dog will bark through the murder-prologue, for no apparent reason. He will whimper through Lena Dunham's  Girls , such that you have to rewind several times to catch every nuance of Andrew Rannells's ad-libbing--and, still, you'll have a nagging suspicion you've missed something. Your dog will poop on the kitchen floor, in the hallway, between the tiny bars of his crate. He'll announce his wakefulness at 5 AM, 2 AM, or while you and another human are mid-coitus. All this, and you get outside, and it's: "Don't let him pee on my tulips!" When...

Raymond Carver: "What's in Alaska?"

Outside, Mary held Jack's arm and walked with her head down. They moved slowly on the sidewalk. He listened to the scuffing sounds her shoes made. He heard the sharp and separate sound of a dog barking and above that a murmuring of very distant traffic.  She raised her head. "When we get home, Jack, I want to be fucked, talked to, diverted. Divert me, Jack. I need to be diverted tonight." She tightened her hold on his arm. He could feel the dampness in that shoe. He unlocked the door and flipped the light. "Come to bed," she said. "I'm coming," he said. He went to the kitchen and drank two glasses of water. He turned off the living-room light and felt his way along the wall into the bedroom. "Jack!" she yelled. "Jack!" "Jesus Christ, it's me!" he said. "I'm trying to get the light on." He found the lamp, and she sat up in bed. Her eyes were bright. He pulled the stem on the alarm and b...

My Favorite Pop Song

  One thing I admire about Prince is his weirdly pretentious verses: Dream, if you can, a courtyard-- An ocean of violets in bloom. Also: Touch, if you will, my stomach. Feel how it trembles inside. No one else writes like this. Did people try to shoot down these choices? Did a producer say, "We'd like to rethink this one... Touch, if you will, my stomach...."  I can't help but wonder. But it's the chorus that makes this a classic. It's direct and universal--and it ends with that bizarre flourish, the allusion to "the crying doves." (Prince's song was number one in America for quite a while; it defeated Bruce Springsteen's "Dancing in the Dark.") How can you just leave me standing-- Alone in a world that's so cold? Maybe I'm just too demanding. Maybe I'm just like my father--too bold. Maybe you're just like my mother; She's never satisfied. Why do we scream at each other? This is what it sounds like when doves cr...