Skip to main content

Ruth Rendell

Ruth Rendell's world reminds me of Shakespeare's. In a Rendell novel, there is often one character who is an example of unrepentant evil--like Shakespeare's Iago. A famous example is the murderer in "A Sight for Sore Eyes." In Rendell's last novel, "Dark Corners," the Iago figure is Dermot, who blackmails another man and also becomes increasingly irritating "just for the fun of it." (We can't call this behavior "motiveless malignancy"--since the obvious motive is money--but the behavior is still quite awful.)

As in a Shakespeare story, Rendell's characters seem to wander into magical forests and undergo dramatic changes. The magical forests aren't literal, and the changes don't often involve gender-swapping or human-to-statue magic. (We're not talking about "The Winter's Tale.") Still, in Rendell's world, there's that same fascination with assumed and/or new identities. Rendell seemed interested in weight gain and weight loss: This was one way a character could quickly attain, or lose, status in the world. (Think of the actress in "Dark Corners." Weight is also a concern in "Adam and Eve and Pinch Me.") Rendell also really did use a cross-dressing plot--at least once, in "A Sleeping Life.")

Often, the changes are subtler. In "Dark Corners," a young, unlikable woman takes pleasure in the death of a friend--because now that woman can wear her dead friend's clothes and pretend to have her dead friend's social power. Also, in "Dark Corners," a man must pretend to function normally while wrestling with a secret: The actual secret is maybe not so terrible, but the work of play-acting, and the burdens created by lying, *become* terrible for this character.

Marilyn Stasio said, in the NYTimes, that Rendell was her "dream writer," and she specifically praised Rendell's use of suspense. From the first page of a Rendell novel, you sense something isn't quite right--and then the reading process is just waiting breathlessly for a house of cards to fall. At her best, Rendell could be very lean: There weren't digressions, there weren't lengthy descriptions of landscapes. I especially like Rendell because she is focused on action: She gives us scene after scene with bizarre characters being uncomfortable together, withholding the truth. There aren't lengthy interior monologues or flashbacks. (By contrast, the popular writer Liane Moriarty relies far too much on inner monologues: These quickly reveal themselves to be a kind of excuse. They are a way for Moriarty to get around having to think of crisp, dramatic scenes *unfolding in the present* ...The passivity of several characters in the first half of "The Husband's Secret" drove me up the wall.)

Rendell wrote somewhere around sixty books, and the later books are among my favorites. That's because they were coming out at the same time that I was discovering Rendell. I was in my early twenties, and I wasn't so conscious of the mechanics behind writing: I could more easily "get lost" in the world of a story. So "The Rottweiler," "Dark Corners," "The Water's Lovely," and "Not in the Flesh," among others, are special to me, even if they aren't generally ranked among Rendell's "all-time greats." I also have the sense that Rendell became freer in her sociological observations toward the end, and I love these observations. For example, in "Dark Corners," she pauses to note that "arguably" is a favorite adverb among journalists. And she slips in some thoughts on caller ID, and on the evolution of "time-checking" (from wearing a watch to carrying a mobile phone). These observations seem to be a source of delight for the writer, and so they're a source of delight for the reader--for me.

If you haven't read Rendell, give yourself a treat! "Dark Corners" was her last book, and it has been good company for me this weekend. I wish there were someone with Rendell's abilities still at work today.

P.S. It's striking to me--and I'm not the first to note this--how often writers appear in Rendell's fictional world. Carl ("Dark Corners") is a writer. There's one in "Adam and Eve and Pinch Me," and one in "A Sleeping Life." There is Tim in "No Night Is Too Long." (Also: I think there's a later Vine where the narrator becomes a cartoonist, and cartooning seems, to me, to be a close cousin of writing.) It's additionally striking that writers do not seem to earn extra sympathy from Rendell--despite their status as writers. There's likely a "thesis" somewhere in that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Host a Baby

-You have assumed responsibility for a mewling, puking ball of life, a yellow-lab pup. He will spit his half-digested kibble all over your shoes, all over your hard-cover edition of Jennifer Haigh's novel  Faith . He will eat your tables, your chairs, your "I {Heart] Montessori" magnet, placed too low on the fridge. When you try to watch Bette Davis in  Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte , on your TV, your dog will bark through the murder-prologue, for no apparent reason. He will whimper through Lena Dunham's  Girls , such that you have to rewind several times to catch every nuance of Andrew Rannells's ad-libbing--and, still, you'll have a nagging suspicion you've missed something. Your dog will poop on the kitchen floor, in the hallway, between the tiny bars of his crate. He'll announce his wakefulness at 5 AM, 2 AM, or while you and another human are mid-coitus. All this, and you get outside, and it's: "Don't let him pee on my tulips!" When...

Raymond Carver: "What's in Alaska?"

Outside, Mary held Jack's arm and walked with her head down. They moved slowly on the sidewalk. He listened to the scuffing sounds her shoes made. He heard the sharp and separate sound of a dog barking and above that a murmuring of very distant traffic.  She raised her head. "When we get home, Jack, I want to be fucked, talked to, diverted. Divert me, Jack. I need to be diverted tonight." She tightened her hold on his arm. He could feel the dampness in that shoe. He unlocked the door and flipped the light. "Come to bed," she said. "I'm coming," he said. He went to the kitchen and drank two glasses of water. He turned off the living-room light and felt his way along the wall into the bedroom. "Jack!" she yelled. "Jack!" "Jesus Christ, it's me!" he said. "I'm trying to get the light on." He found the lamp, and she sat up in bed. Her eyes were bright. He pulled the stem on the alarm and b...

My Favorite Pop Song

  One thing I admire about Prince is his weirdly pretentious verses: Dream, if you can, a courtyard-- An ocean of violets in bloom. Also: Touch, if you will, my stomach. Feel how it trembles inside. No one else writes like this. Did people try to shoot down these choices? Did a producer say, "We'd like to rethink this one... Touch, if you will, my stomach...."  I can't help but wonder. But it's the chorus that makes this a classic. It's direct and universal--and it ends with that bizarre flourish, the allusion to "the crying doves." (Prince's song was number one in America for quite a while; it defeated Bruce Springsteen's "Dancing in the Dark.") How can you just leave me standing-- Alone in a world that's so cold? Maybe I'm just too demanding. Maybe I'm just like my father--too bold. Maybe you're just like my mother; She's never satisfied. Why do we scream at each other? This is what it sounds like when doves cr...