A nice surprise in the later stages of Taylor Swift's career is "But Daddy, I Love Him," a tribute to the great Howard Ashman (and to "The Little Mermaid").
Here, Swift rewrites her own song "Love Story" in amusing ways. "Love Story" features a sort of homebound narrator who waits for things to happen to her. By contrast, the speaker in "But Daddy" is charmingly unpredictable and insane:
Now I'm running with my dress unbuttoned--
Screaming, But Daddy, I love him!
I'm having his baby!
No, I'm not.
But you should see your faces....
Swift is addressing her own fans--the folks who pay her salary. The brattiness is intoxicating.
I'll tell you something right now:
You ain't gotta pray for me--
Me and my wild boy and all this wild joy...
If all you want is gray for me--Then that's just white noise.
And it's just my choice.
One can forgive the mixed metaphor--"vipers dressed in empath's clothing"--because Taylor is so clearly enjoying herself.
More, please.
Comments
Post a Comment