I really dislike my child's school district -- simple communication becomes baroque, certain employees fail to even pretend to listen, and there is an overall impression of "trying to chat with a black hole." When I fight with the school district, I remember the phrase "pearls before swine." To show real emotion is to give these fellow citizens something that they do not deserve. What they deserve is strictly superficial conduct.
Nikki Giovanni writes:
If i can't do
what i want to do
then my job is to not
do what i don't want to do
It's not the same thing
but it's the best i can
do
If I can't reform a broken system, I can at least promise to myself that I won't betray a sense of neediness. I will save my energy and act like a robot when that is what is called for.
If i can't have
what i want . . . then
my job is to want
what i've got
and be satisfied
that at least there
is something more to want
In other words, it's nice to have aspirations. The sense of frustration can be overwhelming -- but if every wish were immediately within reach, then life would be tedious. You can sense NikkI Giovanni arguing with herself. The struggle is written into her "line breaks." She seems close to running out of energy -- five or six times within a single sentence.
I think this ('Choices") is a witty and candid poem.
Comments
Post a Comment