I have no idea how carefully the writers of "Six" were thinking about Ariana Grande. There is of course the link between Catherine Howard's hairstyle and Grande's iconic ponytail. There is also the choice of song structure. Howard's solo is a kind of resume: the verses walk us through the story of her love life. Grande uses the same trick in "Thank U, Next": we hear about each and every major ex (rather than focusing on just one).
I can't help but notice an additional parallel. When a pop star addresses a crush, she is also (covertly) addressing her audience:
A little less conversation and a little more TOUCH MY BODY.
Cuz I'm so into you, into you, into you.
We would be naive to pretend that the music industry isn't--on one level--selling sex. "All you wanna do--all you wanna do, Baby, is touch me, squeeze me, birds and the bees me."
At some point, the relationship becomes toxic. Some of Grande's recent songs have been "about" personal trials while simultaneously confronting her "employers," her fans. Below, Grande is really talking to her listeners:
Know that you made me.
I don't like how you paint me.
Yet I'm still here hanging--
You got me misunderstood.
I can't help but think of Grande when I hear the startling conclusion of Catherine Howard's solo in "Six." A particular industry has squeezed all the life from this one young person. "Playtime's over." The story has to end in violence.
It's also interesting to pair the Howard solo with a new piece by Alison Pill in the NYTimes. Like Grande and like Hayden Panetierre, Alison Pill spent time contending with "child stardom." She writes that "no one deserves that fate."
P.S. I see that "Six" came before "Thank U"....so clearly the show was not quoting Ariana with the catalogue of love affairs. I retract my claim!
Comments
Post a Comment