Sometimes, I think about my life in relation to "The Sopranos." There is that moment when Carmela barks, "AJ needs his routines!" That could easily be yours truly--talking about a different little boy.
The dispute with the neighbors. If I bake rigatoni for your in-laws, that means my daughter *will* win a spot at Georgetown. My family has a similar arrangement where we back school board candidates in exchange for basic civility from our school principal. (This sometimes works!)
The final scene of "The Sopranos" is treated as a kind of Rosetta Stone--what can it tell us about the mob storyline? But I'm not sure that the mob is of paramount importance in this scene. Before the nebulous final seconds, AJ offers advice to his father. "You need to relax. Remember the good times. OK? You told me that once." This is a specific observation about family life--your child will repeat your own words in front of you. (If I'm visibly stressed, my son becomes stern. "Papa? Take a DEEP BREATH.")
In my family, we don't listen to Journey. But we do spend a fair amount of "nostalgia time" with Madonna's old music videos. That's life. That's the dinner hour. And so I'm able to "see myself" so clearly when I watch "The Sopranos."
Comments
Post a Comment