The George Cross mysteries feature a detective "on the spectrum." He seems to have no interest in dating or sex, so his family life is centered on his parents. (By contrast, "The Tunnel," a TV series, features a neurodivergent detective who seems to have a robust sex life. I wonder if Tim Sullivan--author of the Cross novels--is aware of "The Tunnel.")
George Cross grew up without a mother. For a long while, it was his belief that Christine, his mother, couldn't handle the challenge of living with a "special needs" child. But, in fact, Christine left for unrelated reasons. She discovered that her husband, Raymond, was gay; in that era, the "cleanest" solution seemed to be the act of disappearing. I think Sullivan could dig deeper here. There was really no other way for Christine to cope with complications? The author's "blurriness" around the Christine question is one of the weakest aspects of the George Cross books.
In the present day, having noted a general sense of newly hatched tolerance toward homosexuality in England, Christine reunites with her son. She also becomes a friend of Raymond's. When Raymond has a stroke, Christine takes on stay-at-home nursing responsibilities. She slowly wins back George's approval--the two adults eat together in silence (and this is how George likes to eat).
Why shouldn't an aging woman live with her gay ex-husband (whom she likes)? ...Additionally, Raymond's frailty inspires new growth in George. Since George is uncomfortable with self-expression, and since a life-threatening stroke seems to demand a moment of self-expression, the novels become surprisingly intense.
There are also mysteries to solve, since George is a detective. I think the mysteries are moderately engaging--but, mostly, I'm reading to spend time with George. I look forward to "The Tailor."
Comments
Post a Comment