Beyonce is not my favorite performer; I quickly grow bored with songs of empowerment. I prefer singers who are more openly messy. Bonnie Raitt, Amy Winehouse, Adele.
That said, I acknowledge that Beyonce does what she does very well. I particularly like "Irreplaceable," which casts Bey as a kind of all-powerful God:
So go ahead and get gone--
Call up that chick and see if she's home.
Oops! I bet you thought that I didn't know.
What did you think I was puttin' you out for?
Because you was untrue--
Rollin' her round in that car I bought you.
Baby, drop them keys.
Hurry up before your taxi leaves.
It's this song that "Six" seems to borrow from (via "No Way")--especially in the bridge section. Because the writers are witty, "Six" inverts the Beyonce theme: Catherine of Aragon is wielding power *not* to evict a man but to preserve her own queendom.
Then the stutter of the chorus--"n-n-n-n-no way"--seems to recall "Crazy in Love."
Uh no. Uh no. Uh no.
Uh no-no....
The movies out now are sort of pathetic--so I'm happy to have this proshot trend. More, please! "Six" was delightful. I also think it would make sense to dig up the proshot of "Dear Evan Hansen" (given the stardom of Mike Faist). The Cynthia Erivo version of "The Color Purple" would seem (additionally, possibly) "bankable."
Comments
Post a Comment