Season Nine of "The Simpsons" is special because of "Kicking It: The Betty Ford Musical."
This is a spoof that appears in "The City of New York Versus Homer Simpson." Marge wants to travel to 42nd Street. "I've always dreamed of being in an audience in a Broadway show." The musical she selects features a young Justin Bieberesque ne'er-do-well:
No more pills or alcohol--
No more pot or Demerol--
No more stinkin' fun at all!
I'm CHECKING IN.
One might think this is broad satire--but what is brilliant is that "Checking In" features the *exact* "tier" of writing quality that you could expect in a contemporary Broadway musical not authored by Stephen Sondheim. This is the opening of "Wild," a song that is considered a standout in "The Lost Boys":
I remember how it used to be...
Times were innocent, and love was free.
We'd play guitar and dance...
Singing...GIVE PEACE A CHANCE!
(Frankly, I prefer "The Betty Ford Musical.")
Certain moments beautifully highlight Manhattan's "Third World Country" charm. Homer's car is locked with a "boot"--to address the problem, he must remain next to his car for an interlude, possibly "extending from 9 am to 5 pm." A flashback to the 1970s shows a film marquee from 8th Avenue: A few bucks will secure your admission to "Jeremiah's Johnson." (You can also see "The Godfather's Parts....Part II.") A street vendor offers a selection of beverages: Mountain Dew or Crab Juice.
Immortal--and for good reason.
Comments
Post a Comment