Paul Simon's "Graceland" is an "I Am" song--it's rueful and amused and optimistic. It is a grownup pop song. Like any artist, Simon sees the dissolution of a marriage as an opportunity. He takes a *literal* journey (to the South) while also taking an "inner" journey (to the truth or something like the truth). The external world is an echo of the interior world. When Simon alludes to "the cradle of the Civil War," he is talking about Abraham Lincoln, but he is also talking about the civil war that was his marriage, and he is talking about the war within his own soul.
Writing without self-pity, Simon notices something funny about Carrie Fisher:
She comes back to tell me she's gone.
As if I didn't know that!
As if I didn't know my own bed.
As if I never noticed--
The way she brushed her hair from her forehead.
(For the next several years, Fisher and Simon will continue to send mixed signals to each other. One will always be troubling the other, coming back to announce, "I'm gone.")
This is a song, but it has an image you might expect to find in a poem:
My traveling companions are ghosts and empty sockets--
I'm looking at ghosts and empties.
But I've a reason to believe we all will be received--
In Graceland.
Call me nutty, but I see the empty sockets in a few ways. They are the things you spot when you enter a motel room in the middle of your road trip. They're also dormant--as a battered, exhausted soul is dormant. They're also an allusion to sex--without the plug, the empty socket is slightly irritating, agitating to Paul Simon.
I have thought about buying the new book on Simon, but I just don't think I need 300 pages on the making of an album. But I'm glad it exists--because it reminded me of "Graceland" (not just the album, but also the song).
Comments
Post a Comment