I've enjoyed every John Green book I've read, and the new one continues the streak.
Juniper Castillo is an Ariana Grande type. She endured childhood stardom. There was a fair amount of abuse; one mentor closely monitored Castillo's weight and forced her to take on physical discomfort. ("If you can keep your pulse rate low during an assault, that's a way of learning how to be a screen performer.") In early adulthood, Castillo is nakedly ambitious; she understands that Hollywood is a game, but she really, really wants to win the game.
By contrast, Juniper's co-star, Kai, is not interested in the politics of celebrity. He just enjoys inventing a character. Kai isn't sure he wants the attention that comes with a movie role; in Kai's high school years, a teacher was (repeatedly) sexually abusive. If the abuse story leaks to the press, Kai will have to articulate his thoughts about frightening memories. He will have to do this in front of multiple cameras.
There is a twist--and here I have to say that I correctly predicted the twist. I never, never make correct predictions while reading a novel. So this is not something that is working in John Green's favor.
I personally love Hollywood films--I love explosions and Martians. If there is a big budget involved, I'm happy to purchase a ticket. And I was raised on "People" Magazine; I'm deeply interested in celebrity. When Blake Lively draws fire for seeming insufficiently worried about women's safety, that's fascinating. When Matt Lauer tries to provoke Sandra Bullock with lengthy descriptions of the "Proposal" nude scene, I feel like I'm watching a particularly tense passage from the most recent Super Bowl. John Green shows what really happens in a film star's "interview coaching" sessions. And Green's focus on social media, the attention economy, the concept of cancellation--this is all compelling, whether you follow movies or not.
I recommend "Hollywood, Ending"--it's a thoughtful drama with high stakes. Green clearly has a gift.
Comments
Post a Comment