Skip to main content

The NYT: Best Thrillers



It's standard practice to complain when a newspaper publishes a "Year's Best" list. Best movies. Best fashion statements. Best actors. A complaint then triggers a counter-complaint: "If you wanted to include THAT addition, which name would you REMOVE from the current list?" I'm not writing in a serious spirit. I'm not going to argue for *subtractions* from the NYT thriller list. I'm just going to say that certain omissions surprised me.


First, Anthony Horowitz is among the most important popular writers in England right now. He has created a series for Lesley Manville, updated the James Bond series in plausible ways, insightfully championed the works of other writers (Ira Levin, Sarah Waters). Horowitz is on the current list for "Magpie Murders," a great novel. But his career-defining series--Horowitz and Hawthorne--is off the list. At least one of these novels deserves a spot. 

I'm including the opening of "The Word Is Murder" in this post. Horowitz writes just for himself. He is a born writer. He enjoys taking walks and noticing the world. You can tell from the quoted passage--the details, e.g., "the sunshine is almost white and promises a warmth it doesn't deliver," the hair is "sharply cut," the necklace is "heavy with beads and stones" and "might or might not be expensive." As far as I can tell, no current thriller writer outshines Horowitz in the intelligence and stylishness departments.


The writer Peter Swanson--to his credit--nominated Ruth Rendell for the Times list. Swanson chose "Adam and Eve and Pinch Me" (2001). I'm on board. "Adam and Eve"--named "a gem" by "Publishers Weekly"--concerns several eccentric characters in the grip of a con man. One has an unhealthy obsession with hygiene; others are deeply troubled by food and diet. I still remember aspects of this book after twenty years. In the late stages of her career, Rendell is interested in social commentary *alongside* a mystery plot. She writes in a clinical way about eating disorders. It's exhilarating to see someone tackle the topic of food without sermons and without piety. I'm a little embarrassed for the Times that Ruth Rendell is not on the list.


The last additional name I'd include is Thomas Perry, a favorite of my old teacher, Amy Bloom. Perry ended his career with "The Tree of Light and Flowers." I love Perry's interest in social codes; one of the motifs of "Flowers" involves a new dad patiently narrating all of his choices for his nonverbal infant (because, of course, there is quite a bit that an infant cannot easily decipher within an adult's range of behaviors). The novel's protagonist, Jane, is brilliant and lethal. She keeps her eyes open. In the first scene, Jane studies a parking lot. "The woman in the red SUV didn't appear to be much of a threat, but Jane didn't appear to be a threat either, so she watched the woman as she parked at the DSW store and went inside...."

Justice for Thomas Perry!


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Host a Baby

-You have assumed responsibility for a mewling, puking ball of life, a yellow-lab pup. He will spit his half-digested kibble all over your shoes, all over your hard-cover edition of Jennifer Haigh's novel  Faith . He will eat your tables, your chairs, your "I {Heart] Montessori" magnet, placed too low on the fridge. When you try to watch Bette Davis in  Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte , on your TV, your dog will bark through the murder-prologue, for no apparent reason. He will whimper through Lena Dunham's  Girls , such that you have to rewind several times to catch every nuance of Andrew Rannells's ad-libbing--and, still, you'll have a nagging suspicion you've missed something. Your dog will poop on the kitchen floor, in the hallway, between the tiny bars of his crate. He'll announce his wakefulness at 5 AM, 2 AM, or while you and another human are mid-coitus. All this, and you get outside, and it's: "Don't let him pee on my tulips!" When...

Raymond Carver: "What's in Alaska?"

Outside, Mary held Jack's arm and walked with her head down. They moved slowly on the sidewalk. He listened to the scuffing sounds her shoes made. He heard the sharp and separate sound of a dog barking and above that a murmuring of very distant traffic.  She raised her head. "When we get home, Jack, I want to be fucked, talked to, diverted. Divert me, Jack. I need to be diverted tonight." She tightened her hold on his arm. He could feel the dampness in that shoe. He unlocked the door and flipped the light. "Come to bed," she said. "I'm coming," he said. He went to the kitchen and drank two glasses of water. He turned off the living-room light and felt his way along the wall into the bedroom. "Jack!" she yelled. "Jack!" "Jesus Christ, it's me!" he said. "I'm trying to get the light on." He found the lamp, and she sat up in bed. Her eyes were bright. He pulled the stem on the alarm and b...

My Favorite Pop Song

  One thing I admire about Prince is his weirdly pretentious verses: Dream, if you can, a courtyard-- An ocean of violets in bloom. Also: Touch, if you will, my stomach. Feel how it trembles inside. No one else writes like this. Did people try to shoot down these choices? Did a producer say, "We'd like to rethink this one... Touch, if you will, my stomach...."  I can't help but wonder. But it's the chorus that makes this a classic. It's direct and universal--and it ends with that bizarre flourish, the allusion to "the crying doves." (Prince's song was number one in America for quite a while; it defeated Bruce Springsteen's "Dancing in the Dark.") How can you just leave me standing-- Alone in a world that's so cold? Maybe I'm just too demanding. Maybe I'm just like my father--too bold. Maybe you're just like my mother; She's never satisfied. Why do we scream at each other? This is what it sounds like when doves cr...