Skip to main content

On Separation

 Curtis Sittenfeld writes beautifully, and her recent NYT piece has a shrewd opening:


I’ll offer it up right away, the part that, depending on your perspective, might seem ironic or juicy or enviable or tragic: I’m now divorced.


It would be difficult to stop reading at this point. What makes the sentence "pop" is the absence of self-pity. Sittenfeld has a healthy sense of perspective. (She *consistently* has this.) Also, Sittenfeld has an imagination: she can anticipate her news "landing" in several different ways, and she lists these ways.


I find it hard to know how long I was married. My former husband and I considered ourselves separated by fall 2024, but maybe it was before that? He didn’t move out until fall 2025, and the divorce was legal in January 2026.


There is an impression of chattiness--but I believe Sittenfeld works to select the insights that really seem (potentially) universal. Also, she is writing from the gut.


Now I welcome advice from other divorced people, like my friend Alyssa telling me she makes plans every other night when she doesn’t have her kids because that’s not too much and not too little. My friend Felicity told me, “It’s not that you might at some point spend a holiday alone. You definitely will spend a holiday alone, and it’s OK and occasionally awesome.” She recommends a pajama day and movie marathon on Thanksgiving. And when I told my friend Susanna that sometimes without my kids I eat popcorn for dinner standing up, she said, “Popcorn is fine, but sit down.”


The details are priceless: the popcorn on the run, the alternating quiet/busy nights, the movie marathon. The passage is also layered; underneath the humor, Sittenfeld is noticing exactly *how* friends take care of one another.


Once after mediation, I said, “I think you’ll be a good ex-husband.” He replied, “You mean like Jimmy Carter? A better ex-president than a president?”


People make these sorts of remarks on a regular basis--but Sittenfeld is rare in the sense that she remembers and *records* the remarks.


I now know that when people tell you they’re getting divorced, you don’t say, “I’m so sorry!” or “Oh no!” But it’s OK, and maybe recommended, to say, “I’m sorry and congratulations.” As it happens, my divorce is not ironic or juicy or tragic, but it might be enviable because once, near the end, my ex was driving our kids somewhere while I stayed home, and he called me from the car to tell me that baby turkeys were in the yard. The truth is that my ex and I came to feel let down by each other in deeply painful ways, that I found going through a divorce to be the hardest experience of my life, and that we continue to frustrate each other intermittently. But I’m grateful that we both still want good things—stability, delight, baby turkey sightings—for the other person.


I suspect that this is why Sittenfeld chose to write the essay. The baby turkeys. As a TV fan, Sittenfeld was likely thinking of Tony and the ducks in the pilot episode of "The Sopranos." I'm working with students on college applications--and it is so, so difficult to reach a state of perceived safety, to feel that it's permissible to just tell the truth in print. Sittenfeld makes me think of Jessica Lange--revealing her pain in "Frances." A major coup for the NYTimes.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Host a Baby

-You have assumed responsibility for a mewling, puking ball of life, a yellow-lab pup. He will spit his half-digested kibble all over your shoes, all over your hard-cover edition of Jennifer Haigh's novel  Faith . He will eat your tables, your chairs, your "I {Heart] Montessori" magnet, placed too low on the fridge. When you try to watch Bette Davis in  Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte , on your TV, your dog will bark through the murder-prologue, for no apparent reason. He will whimper through Lena Dunham's  Girls , such that you have to rewind several times to catch every nuance of Andrew Rannells's ad-libbing--and, still, you'll have a nagging suspicion you've missed something. Your dog will poop on the kitchen floor, in the hallway, between the tiny bars of his crate. He'll announce his wakefulness at 5 AM, 2 AM, or while you and another human are mid-coitus. All this, and you get outside, and it's: "Don't let him pee on my tulips!" When...

Raymond Carver: "What's in Alaska?"

Outside, Mary held Jack's arm and walked with her head down. They moved slowly on the sidewalk. He listened to the scuffing sounds her shoes made. He heard the sharp and separate sound of a dog barking and above that a murmuring of very distant traffic.  She raised her head. "When we get home, Jack, I want to be fucked, talked to, diverted. Divert me, Jack. I need to be diverted tonight." She tightened her hold on his arm. He could feel the dampness in that shoe. He unlocked the door and flipped the light. "Come to bed," she said. "I'm coming," he said. He went to the kitchen and drank two glasses of water. He turned off the living-room light and felt his way along the wall into the bedroom. "Jack!" she yelled. "Jack!" "Jesus Christ, it's me!" he said. "I'm trying to get the light on." He found the lamp, and she sat up in bed. Her eyes were bright. He pulled the stem on the alarm and b...

My Favorite Pop Song

  One thing I admire about Prince is his weirdly pretentious verses: Dream, if you can, a courtyard-- An ocean of violets in bloom. Also: Touch, if you will, my stomach. Feel how it trembles inside. No one else writes like this. Did people try to shoot down these choices? Did a producer say, "We'd like to rethink this one... Touch, if you will, my stomach...."  I can't help but wonder. But it's the chorus that makes this a classic. It's direct and universal--and it ends with that bizarre flourish, the allusion to "the crying doves." (Prince's song was number one in America for quite a while; it defeated Bruce Springsteen's "Dancing in the Dark.") How can you just leave me standing-- Alone in a world that's so cold? Maybe I'm just too demanding. Maybe I'm just like my father--too bold. Maybe you're just like my mother; She's never satisfied. Why do we scream at each other? This is what it sounds like when doves cr...